Friday, July 14, 2006

A Little Bit of Blessing & A Whole Lot of Praise

You just can't have one without the other.

You can't praise someone without wishing good upon them ( or declaring that they are the source of all goodness ). You also can't wish good upon someone without praising them ( i.e. declaring that they are worthy of the good you're wishing upon them).

These are thoughts I had while reciting "Ashrei". In the possuk corresponding to the letter alef we declare that "I will venerate you, my G-d the king, and I will bless your name for evermore" followed by letter beis "Every day will I bless you, and I will praise your name for evermore".

This more than explains the similarity in the cadence ( rhythm of the tehillim ) between the two pesukim - the sentiments expressed compliment each other.

Let's keep that in mind next time we pray - or any time we wish blessing or praise on Hashem.

'till next time,

R' Druyan

No comments: